How To Choose the Best Hairdressing Tools
In hairdressing, the quality of the hairstyle always depends on the quality of your tools. Apart from knowing how to cut and style hair, you should also learn how to choose the best scissors, blow-dryers, or brushes.
And it’s not always easy, especially considering that your livelihood is at stake. An incorrectly chosen tool can affect your health, comfort, and quality of your work, impacting your career.
Don’t worry, though – we’re here to help. In this article, you’ll find all the essential information about choosing the right hairdressing tools for your work. From scissors to brushes, here’s everything you need to know about making a perfect hairstyle with minimum effort.
Scissors are the most important tool in your job. If you’re on a budget, you’ll need to purchase at least a pair of scissors and a pair of blending shears. But, if there’s money in your budget for more tools, consider buying at least two pairs of all-purpose scissors. The shorter one, around 5.5 inches, will perform well when you need to make precise cuts. Whereas the other, about 6.5 inches, will help you with cutting large sections and deep texturizing.
Several tips may be helpful when choosing the best hairdressing scissors:
- Remember that good scissors are an investment. Don’t buy the least expensive pair in the store – it may cut imprecisely and break quickly. Check out this guide to Japanese steel scissors and shears, and make sure to find something that suits your needs.
- Choose the right style of scissors to stay comfortable when cutting hair. Straight scissors are traditional and the least expensive, but they put a strain on your wrist. On the other hand, offset or swivel sheers will allow you to relax the elbow and reduce the risk of repetitive strain injury or carpal tunnel syndrome – the conditions common among hairdressers.
The second tool every hairdresser has to own is a blow-dryer. Its quality is essential if you want to style hair perfectly. When considering which blow-dryer to purchase, think about these things:
- Look for something light, so you don’t get exhausted easily. If drying hair feels like lifting weights, it’s high time to consider going shopping.
- Always choose a high wattage model – it will dry hair faster and reduce damage.
- If possible, purchase a blow-dryer with ionic technology, which speeds up drying time and seals the hair’s moisture, leaving it shiny and healthy.
- Opt for a model with a long swivel cord – this will make the process easier.
With a good curling iron, you can create a variety of looks. Even if you can afford only one item, there are several tips for making a perfect choice.
- If you’re on a budget, buy a 1” curling iron. It’s big enough to deliver just the right amount of waves, but it’s not so small that you end up with tight curls.
- Keep away from curling wands. Even though they heat up faster and deliver gentle beach curls, they don’t have a clamp that holds the hair in place. That may put unnecessary strain on your hands.
- Look for the high heat temperature models to deliver a long-lasting result.
- If you have only one curling iron, learn different curling techniques. Wrap the hair around the iron in various ways and get looser or more sophisticated curls.
- Choose a Marcel iron over a spring one. You’ll need more experience to handle it, but it’ll also offer you more control over the clamp.
Brushes and Combs
If you want to deliver professional service, you need at least two brushes in your kit. A puddle brush will help you detangle the hair quickly and safely, allowing you to flat-wrap or volume-wrap the hair. Look for a model with a soft-cushioned base and ball-tipped nylon bristles to gain the perfect effect with minimum effort.
The second type is a round brush, necessary for flawless blow-drying. It will also transform fine hair, making it look thicker and healthier. The model with a small barrel is perfect for short hair, with a large barrel – for long hair, and with a medium barrel – to create fullness at the base.
Whether you’re a seasoned pro or a beginner in the hairdressing industry, a kit of high-quality basic tools is essential for your work. However, not everybody knows how to choose them correctly, which can often lead to a disaster.
If your scissors are dull, achieving the perfect hairstyle is impossible, and if you don’t have a round brush, the client’s hair won’t look as thick as it could. An incorrectly chosen hairdressing tool can affect your work and your livelihood, so make sure to learn the essentials.
The tips above are meant to help you make the right decision and feel comfortable at work all the time. Implement them, and your hairdressing tools will serve you well.