Top 5 Tips to Find the Right Electronic Cigarette
“Vaping,” the use of electronic cigarettes (e-cigs) instead of traditional tobacco products, is more popular than ever, especially with solid new evidence confirming that e-cigs are a much safer alternative to smoking. In the early days of the vaping craze, most people opted for cigarette lookalikes that consisted of a disposable nicotine cartridge, battery and atomizer. These types of e-cigs are still widely available at convenience stores and online. Others opt for more elaborate personal vaporizers with a refillable tank, often called “mods.” Mods come in a range of styles and sizes, including box and tube-style models.
Discovering the world of e-cigs can be like learning a whole new language, with veteran vapers throwing out terms like “atty” (atomizer), “analogs” (traditional cigarettes), “ohms” (units of electrical resistance), watts (battery power levels), e-juice or e-liquid (propylene glycol and/or vegetable glycerin, water and flavoring used to create vapor) and more.
But if you’re ready to start vaping, it doesn’t have to be that complicated; it’s really about which e-cig is right for you. These five questions can help you make the right choice:
- What’s your objective? Are you looking to quit smoking? Improve your health? Save money? Switching from tobacco to e-cigs can help you accomplish all of those goals, but to choose the right e-cig, you’ll need to estimate how much you’ll want to vape to kick the analog habit. If your vaping equipment is up to the challenge, it can be an effective alternative to traditional cigarettes.
- What’s your price range? Price varies a great deal in the vaping world, from disposable cigarette lookalikes you can buy for a few bucks at the corner market to solidly built mods with refillable tanks, replaceable atomizer coils, adjustable ohms and watts, built-in safety features and customizable settings. Like most things in life, you get what you pay for with e-cigs, so if you’re looking for a durable model, consider investing in a quality product that is manufactured by a reputable company like ProVape and the ProVari line of devices.
- What size mod and battery will work best for you? Since e-cigs come in all shapes and sizes, give some thought to how you’ll use it. Will you carry it in a bag or a pocket? Larger mods typically hold bigger batteries that last much longer. For the best quality, look for high-drain, rechargeable AW batteries. Smaller batteries (18350) typically power a third of a day of vaping, whereas medium batteries (18490) last for half to three-quarters of a day and larger batteries (18650) usually last all day.
- How much power do you prefer? E-cig models deliver a variety of vaping experiences, with available watts typically resulting in a distinctive vape. Vapers can achieve a cool/dry vape between 8-20 watts, whereas 25-40 watts produces a hotter, wetter vape experience. It’s a matter of personal preference, so it’s a good idea to choose an adjustable model to ensure that you can find the power level that works for you, or try a variety of devices to get a better read on your personal inclinations. The typical preference for someone just looking to get off of cigarettes is the lower power range. Most vapers use 8-12 watts as a satisfying range to replace traditional tobacco cigarettes.
- Which e-liquid should you choose? This is the fun part; e-liquid comes in a variety of flavors, including regular tobacco, menthol, watermelon, citrus, caramel, cherry cola, cinnamon and many more, so you can definitely find a flavor for every whim as well as go-to favorites. You can also customize the nicotine levels in your e-liquid with strengths that typically range from 24 mgs to no nicotine at all. A general guide is that 6 mg of nicotine is equivalent to half-a-pack of analogs per day, 12 mg equals a pack, and 18 mg equals one-and-a-half to two packs.
Because there is such a wide variety of e-cigs on the market, new users will likely have other choices to make, especially if they opt to invest in a high-quality personal vaporizer with a replaceable atomizer and refillable tank. Tanks and atomizers come in different shapes and sizes too, allowing users to experiment with different vaping styles (such as dripping e-liquid directly on a special atomizer for a more intense flavor). It’s also important to keep safety in mind. Mechanical mods typically rely on the battery for both power and safety, whereas high-quality regulated mods offer reverse battery protection, on/off mode and safety cut-off features, amperage limits and thermal monitoring functions.
At the end of the day, only you can decide which e-cig product is right for you. But remember that you get what you pay for when you buy an e-cig. A cheap cigarette lookalike at a convenience store or low-cost personal vaporizer manufactured offshore may have an appealing entry price, but after you’ve replaced it multiple times, you’ll have already spent the amount you could have initially invested in a high-quality, solidly built mod made by a company like ProVape that guarantees its products and stands behind its mods with a warranty. Just keep these facts in mind, and you’ll find the e-cig that’s right for you.
Guest post by Tim Klerekoper, marketing manager at ProVape