Virtual Reality is changing the way we experience life by giving us access to experiences that aren’t always easily attainable. From watching doctors operate to flying inside the cockpit of a jet. Even dealerships are using VR to help their customers test drive the latest models from the comfort of their home.
Mobil 1™ is one of the many brands embracing VR, however they’re the first motor oil company to feature this type of technology in a promotion. Now until Jun 28, consumers that purchase 5 quarts of Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil at Advance Auto Parts, AutoZone, or Pep Boys will receive a free, Virtual Reality Google cardboard viewer.
Why Mobil 1 and why VR?
The brand knows extremes and what it takes to maintain top tier performance. It’s in their DNA; their lifestyle, so naturally it’s a good fit. I recommend you checking out the videos Mobil 1 has created to go along with cardboard. You can find them here.
In addition to this new promo, ExxonMobil has recently launched the Mobil 1 Annual Protection motor oil. This new technology has been specially formulated to offer maximum protection during long oil change intervals by increasing its resistance to oil breakdown. Users of Mobil 1 Annual Protection can be sure they’re protected up to one full year (or up to 20k miles, whichever comes first).
My at Home Car Maintenance Tips
Believe it or not, most maintenance items on your car can be done at home. In fact, you will probably save hundreds of dollars a year by taking care of your car issues yourself. Here are some of my personal at home car maintenance tips:
1.) Spark Plugs
The majority of spark plugs need replacing every 30,000 miles, and take no more than 20 to 30 minutes to install. All you need is a ratchet or socket wrench, spark plug socket, and a 12″ socket extension.
- Under the hood, you should find your spark plug attached to rubber wires.
- Depending on how many cylinders your car has, you will find 4-8 spark plugs.
- Remove the wire to the first spark plug first. Make sure you don’t remove all the wires at once, as your spark plugs are installed in a certain order.
- Use the tools mentioned previously to remove the first spark plug.
- Install the new spark plug by hand first, then finish tightening with a wrench, making sure not to over-tighten.
- Re-attach the spark plug wire.
2.) Air Filters
A new air filter is needed every 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever comes first. All it takes is 10 minutes of your time. Best of all, no tools required!
- Find your filter under the hood of your car. It’s usually in a black rectangular box with metal clips on the side.
- After you open the casing, pay attention to how the filter fits inside.
- Take the old one out and replace it with your new one. Easy as that!
- Lastly, be sure to place the metal clips back on and you’re good to go.
3.) Oil and Oil Filters
Imagine not only changing your own oil once a year, thanks to Mobil 1 Annual Protection motor oil, but doing it in 30-45 minutes. You’re saving both time and money doing it yourself. All you need is a ratchet, oil pan, funnel, and oil filter wrench. Here are a few items Mobil 1 sent over to help me change my oil.
- Make sure your engine is cool before working on it.
- Get under your car and locate its oil pan.
- Unscrew the drain plug and let the old oil fill your oil pan.
- Replace the drain plug once the oil stops dripping.
- From your engine, remove the old oil filter using your oil filter wrench.
- Lubricate the rubber gasket on the new oil filter with motor oil.
- Fill the new oil filter about two-thirds of the way with new oil.
- Hand-tighten the new oil filter into place.
- Fill the engine with new oil using your funnel.
- Using a dip-stick, check to see your oil level is correct, and you’ve added enough.
- Discard the old oil filter and old oil at your local gas station. Most will take it without any issues.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of ExxonMobil ™ . The opinions and text are all mine.